Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Writing, 11pm


I've been sitting here all day. It's pouring rain in DC and a bit cold out (or so it looks). One might not think there is much 'writing' involved in a documentary but that's far from the case. I'm taking a micro break from writing 5 interviews at the same time. That's on top of mapping out the general flow of the film from start to end. I need the interview's to go as planned - for the answers to be as spot on as possible and that only happens if you ask the right question to get the answer you need... so if I need Cavendish to blurt out, "I hate time trials, I'm a sprinter!" then I'd better set up the question to get that answer. Every question has a purpose to match action I know I have filmed. Every interview must be filmed with style and precision to establish the look I want since there was little time for setting up stylish shots when we were on the run chasing the Tour. There's no room for mistakes and next week will be one of the more intense weeks of the entire project. Finally I will interview Phil Liggett in London, possibly Cavendish in his home town, Isle of Man and then I'll hop over to France to interview someone very special whom no one would have predicted but all will love to see. The pressure is building, time is running out and I've got one shot to do it all right. But I must admit it's a bit thrilling and I guess that's what keeps me fueled on days such as these.

Ok, another glass of vino has been poured, it's back to work for this guy.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment